Magic Kingdom

Magic Kingdom

Saturday 12 April 2014

Why I love the movie Frozen!!


 
 I have to admit even as an adult I am completely in love with Disney’s movie frozen. I don’t think I have loved a movie released by Disney this much since The Lion King, not that I haven’t loved some of the releases in between! The success of this movie has even surpassed the expectations of Disney and has become the highest grossing animated film of all time. This is really no surprise with the winning formula used. It captures that classic Disney spirit of era from The Little Mermaid to The Lion King! 

Frozen is the story of a girl (Elsa), who is born with the powers to create ice and snow. While she is a young child she accidentally injures her younger sister Anna and is forced to conceal her powers and is isolated in her room. When she grows up and becomes Queen of Arendelle during her coronation her powers are exposed and in fear she runs away from Arendelle and hides in the mountain. Her younger sister, Anna sets off determined to find her and bring her back meeting some interesting characters along the way. Basically, I will leave my summary at that so I do not spoil the movie for anyone who has not seen Frozen! 

I just love the characters from this movie, Elsa being my personal favorite! Olaf is the snowman who dreams of experiencing summer. He is very lovable and creates some great comedic relief during the movie. And it’s hard to not love the adorable reindeer Sven who is Kristoff’s best friend in the movie.
Frozen is Disney’s adaption of the “Snow Queen” by Hans Christian Andersen, and it is very loosely based on this story. Disney has been trying to make a film adaption of this story as far back as the 1940’s, when Walt himself had wanted to turn this into a movie. Several attempts since then were shelved because they could not find a way to make the Snow Queen Character work. Even when the studio started working on Frozen in 2011 they had a difficult time making the character work. 

In the original concept for Frozen Elsa was actually the villain for the movie. Once the writers for the song “Let It Go” Lopez and Anderson-Lopez turned in the song to the studio, Disney decided to rewrite the script where she was no longer the villain(I am really glad they made this change). I am completely in love with this song! It is and incredibly beautiful song and it is currently one of my favorite songs (the Idina Menzel version of course)! All of the songs in this movie are great and very catchy.  Another thing that I love about this movie is how they are frequently breaking into song during the movie! It really brings you back to the classic Disney movies we all love. It is no surprise that the soundtrack was written by a husband and wife team who have also written music for musicals. Disney has said that they plan to turn Frozen into a Broadway musical, which I look forward to seeing! 

If you have not seen this movie it is a must watch! I have not bought a Disney movie on release day since The Lion King, but this one was a must! I even installed the digital download on my Ipad (first time I have ever done this for any movie) to watch during our plane rides! This is no doubt an instant Disney classic! 

2 comments: